The REACH Base Lead Pilot is responsible for the management of the base pilots and any other duties as assigned by the Chief Pilot and/or Director of Operations. The Lead Pilot is expected to act as a proactive and integral team player, both in flight, and during ground operations, utilizing communication and technical skills which will strengthen the company goal of being held in highest regard within the EMS industry.
Please note: Internal applicants from this base location will be given priority consideration.
• Ensures base pilot compliance with FARs, Company SOP and Operations Manual.
• Functions as a liaison for base airport and FBO related issues.
• Responsible for flight and duty time collection and audit for pilot records. Collects by the 7th of each month and audits for errors, ensures pilots’ signature. Sends to Admin Office by the 10th of each month.
• Audits process of flight and duty time information and AirChart entries for each pilot’s calendar items.
• Payroll approval for base pilot timecards.
• Ensures completion of AVSTAR duties.
• Annual performance reviews for base pilots.
• Attends monthly base meetings.
• Monthly meetings – lead pilot/flight instructor, as assigned.
• Produces monthly flight time reports.
• Visa statement report for aircraft credit card purchase.
• Manages pilot schedule for base of operation to include PTO and trade days.
• Primarily responsible for base pilot staffing, developing and maintaining pilot schedules to include current policy on work rotations, vacation requests, swaps, and sick time coverage while monitoring pilot duty time, morale and health.
• Works with the Base General Manager on relevant base related issues. Works with the Base Operations Manager in developing the base budget and other base logistical needs.
• Primarily responsible for the continued review process for each pilot assigned. Organizes and conducts each pilot’s review under HR guidelines, under the supervision of the Chief Pilot.
• Participates and conducts monthly continuing education and training requirements for the assigned base pilots to ensure preparation for, and consistency in the pilot check rides.
• Contributes and makes recommendations to the base pilot or mechanic hiring processes and make recommendations concerning hiring of flight department personnel.
• Participates in base pilot personnel actions as the first line supervisor.
• Assists the Base General Manager in ongoing operations or safety training for medical crews or pilots.
• Attends quarterly company management meetings, base/process review meetings and periodic lead pilot meetings when required.
• Ensures all line pilots comply with duties and responsibilities per their job description.
• Serves as a member of the management team, and contributes as a team member in accomplishing the mission and vision of REACH.
• Represents REACH at public and professional events.
• Reports to and reviewed by the Chief Pilot with input from the Director of Operations.
• Coordinates base aircraft maintenance requirements with the Director of Maintenance and Director of Operations and provides input to the Director of Maintenance concerning base mechanic performance.
• Serves as Aviation Administrator on Call as required.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
• Prior management experience preferred.
• B.S. Degree or equivalent preferred.
• Minimum 3000 hours total time (helicopter) required.
• Minimum1500 hours PIC (helicopter) required.
• Minimum 500 hours cumulative night experience required.
• Minimum 200 hours cumulative IFR experience required.
• Minimum 200 hours instructor flight time required.
• Preference is given to applicants who have an ATP rating.
• Preference is given to applicants who have previous NVG experience.
• Preference is given to applicants who have previous EC135, A109, B222 experience and/or single pilot IFR experience in a complex helicopter.
• Current Class II Medical Certificate
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal are essential.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to communicate professionally, effectively and persuasively.
• Ability to maintain composure under pressure, work efficiently and accurately with frequent interruptions, and set/re-set multiple priorities.
• Presents a professional image as a REACH flight team member.
• Maintain a positive team attitude with flight crew members, maintenance technician and communications specialist by working cohesively.
• Work independently and tolerates high stress levels while maintaining a good rapport with co-workers.
• Maintain ongoing knowledge of relevant aviation SOP’s and regulations.
• Excellent proficiency with Microsoft suite of software.
REACH offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, as well as a 401(k) plan. We also offer a flexible paid-time-off program and voluntary supplemental life insurance packages.
REACH is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for the position applied for without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or other non-merit factors. We welcome and encourage applications from minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities (including disabled veterans).